How to Save Money in Malta
• Grocery shopping in large supermarkets, discounters like Lidl . In the small village shops, outside of populated areas, the prices for the same goods are, at times, considerably lower than in Sliema and Valletta.
• Buy fruits and vegetables from small street vendors, that run or are stationed in different cities, with their trucks on a weekly basis (Wednesdays in Swieqi, Sliema Thursday, etc.). You can also buy directly from farms on the island. It is important to always buy from sellers who have the price of the product clearly visible.
• Buy some products, such as frozen goods in specialized stores. Miracle Foods , for example, beats the price of frozen assets of every supermarket on the island.
• Buy products such as pet food or other long-life products in large quantities and ask for a discount.
• Buy small electronic products in Italy and take them with you. Transport costs are still lower than buying the product directly to Malta.
There are three different types of Supermarkets
1.Small shops / snack bar at the center points often frequented by many tourists and locals. These stores are generally open 07: 00-07: 00; Paceville and some other areas, are open 24 hours. The prices in these stores are usually slightly higher and the assortment is similar to the small range of service stations.
2.Small shops outside the central points such as in residential areas or industrial. These stores are usually open 07: 00-07: 00. The prices are usually 10-20% more than the big supermarkets. The owners, however, try to balance the difference in price, offering a good friendly service. The assortment in these stores is not very big, but they have a basic range of drinks, pasta, milk and a small selection of daily fresh dairy products such as bread.
3.The large supermarkets: The size of these supermarkets can not be compared to that of Europe’s leading supermarkets such as Wal – Mart, Metro or Real offering popular brands. The range is not particularly large, but the prices are very cheap compared to the smaller shops. You can save up to 20% when you buy in big supermarkets rather than the small shops in residential areas.
Most supermarkets also have special offers for customers who spend a certain amount. When buying goods for a total of about 93 euro, for example, will receive a cash Cola / Fanta / Sprite and 6 bottles of water for free!
Many supermarkets deliver the goods directly to your house when you spend a certain amount of money, for example, 35 euro.
4. Other stores: There are specialty stores that sell, for example, only the frozen assets. farms and stalls where you can buy fruits and vegetables directly from the farmer.
During the week, you will find many sellers of fruit and vegetables on the streets, who drive around in their small trucks.They sell their seasonal fruits and harvest fresh excess and vegetables at low prices.
TOWER SUPERMARKET, High Street, Sliema
Opening Hours: Monday to Friday from 08:00 am to 20:00 pm http://towersupermarket.com/
CHAIN MARKET , The Point Shopping Mall, Tigne ‘Point Opening Hours: Monday to Saturday from 9:30 am to 19: 30pm
PARK TOWERS St.Julians , The Mall, Park Towers, Triq Gorg Borg Olivier, San Giljan
Opening Hours: Monday – Thursday and Saturday: 7.30am – 19.30pm
Friday Late Night Shopping: 7.30am – 20.30pm http: / /www.parktowerssupermarkets.com
ARKADIA , Triq Il-Knisja, St.Julians
Opening Hours: Monday to Friday (including public holidays): 8:00 am – 9:00 pm http://www.arkadia.com.mt
SHOPPERS , Triq Il-Kbira, Mellieha
Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 7.30am – 19.00pm http://www.gsmalta.com/supermarkets-in-malta/
TROLEES, Triq Il-Merluzz, Qawra
Opening Hours: 7.00am – 9.00pm (Monday to Saturday), 7.00am – 7.00pm (Sunday)http://www.gsmalta.com/supermarkets-in-malta/
SMART SUPERMARKET , Triq In-Naxxar, Birkirkara
Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday ‘: 7:00 am – 20:00 pm, Friday: 7:00 am – 21:00 pm, Saturday: 7:00 am – 20:00 pmhttp: / /www.smart.com.mt/Home.aspx
GS SUPERSTORE , Parish Street, Naxxar
Opening Hours: Monday through Thursday – 8:00 am – 19:00 pm, Friday – 8:00 am – 21:00 pm, Saturday – 8:00 am – 19:30 pm http: // www. gssuperstore.com/
PAVI , Triq Manwel Dimech, Hal-Qormi
Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday 09:00 – 20:00 Friday: 09:00 to 21:00 & Saturday: 08:00 to 19:00
http: // www .pavi.com.mt / LandingPage.aspx SHOPWISE , Triq L-Imdina, Qormi Opening Hours: Monday to Saturday – 8:00 am – 19:00 pm http://www.maltasupermarketdirect.com/
PARK TOWERS , Psaila Street, St.Venera
Opening Hours Mon – Thurs and Sat: 7:30 to 19:30 Friday Late Night Shopping: 7:30 to 20:30http://www.parktowerssupermarkets.com/
SUPERMARKET CHAIN , Triq Is-Sur, Fgura
Opening Hours: Mon-Thurs 8:00 am – 19:00 pm, Friday 8:00 am – 21:00 pm, Sat 8:00 am – 17:30 pm SUPERMARKET CHAIN , Triq L-Inhasa , Zabbar Opening Hours: Mon – Fri 8:00 am – 19:00 pm, Saturday 8:00 to 17:30 pm CARTERS SUPERMARKET , Triq Hal-Luqa, Tarxien Opening Hours: Mon – Sat 7:00 am – 19:00 pm LASCO SUPERMARKET , Triq Il-President Anton Buttigieg, Zejtun Opening Hours: 7.00am – 7.00pm (Monday to Saturday), 7.00am – 8.00pm (Friday)http://www.lascosupermarket.com/